I am a graduate math student and I believe that a nice way to raise the mathematical skills of people(especially students!) is to familiarize them with games and encourage them to use their minds and think on their own ideas. I have studied too many puzzle games and I have found too many excellent puzzle games. But I believe that board games and card games are more effective and I want to find a board game or a card game which have almost all of the following properties:
- The game can be played by 8-9 players; almost all of them are 9-12 years old. (preferably 8 players!)
- I Prefer that the game can be played physically, without the use of any computer!
- The time of the workshops is Limited to 60-90 minutes. Let's assume the time is 90 minutes! (I must learn them the rules in at most 10-15 minutes, and I want a game such that we can do it 2 or 3 times in one workshop.)
- Also, after the first round that the game was played, I want to give them a low-level analysis of the game.
- Also, I Prefer the games, which had a possibility to make some low-level riddles and challenges to involve their minds. (For example, Yahtzee gives me the opportunity to give them some simple probabilistic problems. Also by a problem, I do not mean a mathematical problem, every exciting challenge is welcome.)
I know so many exciting board games but most of them cannot be played by 8 players, and the others are not fit in the limited time of the workshop, because they have too many rules, I prefer a game with simple rules! For example, Kriegspiel is a very nice board game, but it is played by only two players and it is very hard to handle it in workshops! If the number of players was 2, then I could reduce chess to a very very simple board game, and then they can play it like Kriegspiel!
Also, I have a trouble to find a suitable tag!