Are there any studies that list the leading (English-language) mathematics education journals? Here, "leading" could mean something based on data (for example, citations) or something based on opinions (for example, surveys).
Geiger, Delzoppo, and Straesser (2022, p. 551) use the following list (which seems to be unordered):
- The Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education
- For the Learning of Mathematics
- ZDM Mathematics Education
- The Journal of Mathematical Behavior
- Educational Studies in Mathematics
- The Journal for Research in Mathematics Education
- Mathematical Thinking and Learning
This is based on "the ranked journal lists developed by Williams and Leatham (2017). These lists were based on two sub-studies---one citation-based and the other in-field opinion-based, that produced ranked lists of 20 English language journals that publish Mathematics Education research."
Geiger, V., Delzoppo, C., & Straesser, R. (2022). Supporting English non‑dominant language authors’ efforts to publish: Perspectives from the editors‑in‑chief of highly recognised journals in Mathematics Education. Educational Studies in Mathematics, 111:543–565.
Williams, S., & Leatham, K. (2017). Journal quality in mathematics education. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 48(4), 369–396.