I just recently had a student (U.S. university) ask "How long would I have to wait until I could be eligible to take the FE or PE exam if I earned a non-ABET accredited engineering degree?" The student is looking to transfer, and I could not answer his question. I tried looking it up on the NCEES and ABET website, but I couldn't find a clear answer. Any answers or resources would be greatly appreciated.

FE = Fundamentals of Engineering
PE = Principles and Practice of Engineering
ABET = Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology
NCEES = National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying

  • $\begingroup$ Thank you, I have added clarification $\endgroup$ Jul 31, 2023 at 13:56
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ From fundamentalsofengineering.com/mod/page/…. : "If you are not enrolled in an ABET-accredited B.E. program, you will require six years of experience for the F.E. exam and 12 years for the P.E. exam." $\endgroup$
    – Jon Custer
    Jul 31, 2023 at 15:02
  • $\begingroup$ Professional engineering licensure is done at the state level. Different states may have slightly different policies regarding graduates of non-accredited programs. Please add a state tag. EDIT: it appears that the common locations do not exist in this stack?! so please edit the question to identify the state. $\endgroup$
    – shoover
    Jul 31, 2023 at 19:58


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.